Welcome to the website of the Salt Spring Island Watershed Protection Alliance (SSIWPA)
SSIWPA was formed in 2013 in order to provide coordinated management between the agencies who have a responsibility for legislation and regulation of various aspects of Salt Spring Island’s watersheds and fresh water resources.
SSIWPA steering committee member agencies are:
- Salt Spring Island Local Trust Committee
- Capital Regional District
- Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
- Ministry of Agriculture
- North Salt Spring Waterworks District
- Highland and Fernwood Water Service Commission
- Beddis Water Service Commission
Click to read the SSIWPA Terms of Reference
In addition to the steering committee, SSIWPA benefits from the work of two advisory groups:
- the Technical Working Group (TWG)
- the Conservation and Efficiency Working Group (CEWG).
The purpose of the TWG is to provide scientific and technical support to the SSIWPA Steering Committee.
The purpose of the CEWG is to provide advice and recommendations to SSIWPA Steering Committee on issues that relate to resource efficiency and water conservation measures.